Saturday, February 7, 2009

If It Never Rains....Why is it Green?

The chorus of Albert Hammond's "It Never Rains In Southern California" goes like this:

Seems it never rains in Southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours

But the scenery is plenty green here and the state is "Green" in terms of renewable energies and conservation matters and the like. Now I can't tell you whether or not it ever just "rains" here, but I can tell you that it pours, man, it pours. In fact we think we lucked out having a few spectacularly clear and warm days before the rain kicked in, but now it's looking pretty much like the rest of our planned outdoor activities might just be a big bust. That's too bad, we had some neat stuff on the agenda, but it will all be here next time if that's what it comes down to.

Which brings me to the "other" green. I took my Nikon camera to the San Diego factory authorized repair shop of Kurt's Camera Repair to fix what whatever happened to the lens on my desert bouncing expedition and also for a good cleaning. Something looked mighty weird about the tree out in front of the shop. I took a closer look. It wasn't! A tree, that is. Looked like one, but in actuality it was a cell phone tower in disguise. And once we noted that, we could see that where-ever they had placed such a tower, it was put up in the "atmosphere" of what else was in the area. So this one was nice young deciuous tree type. Others were tall palms and so on. That's the extent they go to here to keep things green. And I rather like the idea. But I'm thinking the cost of hiding the infrastructure is far greater that it would be to put up a metal tower and just call it good. Still, it's not my call- and it does look good. I just hope this focus is not so extreme that it contributes to the financial woes of a state already in crisis in financial times like these are. What follows is a couple pics of the antenna. Bet you can't even see it up in the branches and leaves- but you surely will in the "root system." How many living trees have you ever come across BOLTED to as concrete pad?




No comments: