Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dam! What a nice day for a wedding!

Ah ha! You thought the title of this post was a No NO, didn't you? Not at all. I didn't say DAMN; I said Dam, as in Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. We felt a bit like going directly from a week isolated in the Mojave Desert to the bright lights and wild activity of The Strip might be a tad much, so we used our first of two days in Las Vegas to head just out of town to spend a day at Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Think of it as transition time. The older I get, the more I tend towards "easy" touring and the less I feel like exploring the wild side. Such is life. Anyway, when we arrived at gorgeous Lake Mead, there were some wedding photos being taken, so we asked the handsome young couple if they would like to share their wedding shots with our readers. No problem. Thanks, guys. Congrats, and many happy years together.



Climbing aboard the Desert Princess, a paddle wheel boat that floats you past beautiful scenery on over to Hoover Dam, it was apparent that the lake is used for all kinds of activities. There was fishing for stripers. Birding. Boating. Water skiing. Camping houseboat style. Kayaking. Biking. Hiking. And more. There was a whole lot to see, so I thought a slide show of the day's activities was in order.

I wanted to say "Hi" to the guy in the black leathers that we met riding his motorcycle on the way down to the lake. He asked me to take his picture so people back home could see his face in at least one of his shots so they knew he was here. "Where are you from?" "Brazil" Well, it turns out we have a couple readers in Brazil and at least one of them has linked our site to theirs down there. Every once in a while I get a note in Portuguese, the native language of Brazil, and even with on-line translation, I can't always understand everything they are writing. So in exchange for taking his picture, he said he would send me his contact info so I can get anything in Portuguese translated when I need it. How cool is that! Ride safely and enjoy America.



Here's to a great day on a great lake:


No comments: