Thursday, February 15, 2007

Doggie Beach and DNA






I like the way this expression begins (although I do not profess to know who “They” are) so I use it from time to time:
THEY SAY…that after a while owners begin to look like their dogs! There is evidence to support this, but I’m not too sure it should be considered a universal truth. Just to play it safe though, we did make arrangements to get a good looking dog! Hey! You can’t be too careful!
But I never heard “them” say that if you have a dog long enough it will start to pick up some of your favorite hobbies and want to do all the things you like to do. But now there is evidence of that as well- so if it turns out to be a truism, then I will become the “They” when other people start to use the expression.
Anyone who knows me at all, knows of my love and fascination with all things oceanic, but most visibly “shells”. Where-ever “She sells seas shells” I am shopping! Nothing appeals to me more than walking along a new beach looking for, picking up, selecting, and dragging home new sea shells. Our home, no matter where we make it, is a shell shop of sorts. But while Abby has always loved walking on a beach (after all, she grew up on one in Honduras) and playing in the water, she has never in the past expressed any interest in shelling. That is until now. And so on one of our recent day trips to Doggie Beach near Lover’s Key State Park in Bonita Springs, Abby started to express an interest in shells. And yes, I have the pictures to prove it. When I started to photograph, admittedly I didn’t know what was about to unfold, but I became more and more fascinated by the process as it did. First we found a few shells ourselves and held them for Abby to smell. Then she was off to find a few of her own. She evidently could locate them under water (as long as they were showing well), then paw them to a place where she could pick them up with her mouth. And whether or not you choose to believe she carried her shell back to coach….or not…it IS here and a proud part of the “Coach Collection.”
That’s MY dog! Even have the DNA in a bag from time to time to prove it!

No comments: