Monday, February 19, 2007

Diving Into Tarpon Springs




One of my all time favorite Florida places is the sponge dock in Tarpon Springs. There you can learn just about everything there is to learn about the sponge industries, the Greek hard hat divers and Greek food as well. For a compulsive shell and sponge collector it is a place to fight the addiction! But since we have little more space in the coach I was on my best behavior and settled for a picture in the hard hat suit instead of that new shell and sponge- one of each of which I had my eye on!!! We came here many times in the past years to buy sponges for the art store back in Maine. While we always love coming here, this day trip had the extra added bonus of meeting up with Marilyn’s little sister Elizabeth and her husband David, who were down for a week visiting his side of the family. Their trip was waylaid by lousy weather and their luggage was waylaid by lousy air line service but they were in good spirits and looking great to us when we met them at the sponge factory. We had a really nice Greek lunch at Hellas (you gotta go there- opa!) I couldn't help but wish that other little sis Julie could be down here as well. I so very much want to see the three girls together under happy circumstances; they are all very special to me...
Check out the pictures of the Two Greek Beauties, the Two Old Ships, and Greg in full diver’s gear- you decide which is which!!! ( Just kidding)

No comments: